If you are in need of Respondus 4.0, please contact Dee Thornton at email@example.com or 1 904 256-7972.
is a Windows-based authoring tool that makes it easy to create and manage exams for Blackboard Learn and Canvas.
- Distinct user environments for Blackboard Learn and Canvas
- Create exams and assessments offline using a Windows interface
- Supports up to 15 question types, including calculated and algorithmic
- Import questions from MS Word (including embedded images), rich-text, QTI, and tab/comma delimited formats
- Access to thousands of Respondus-compatible publisher test banks –
FREE to instructors who adopt a participating textbook
Preview, Publish, and Printing Features
- Preview questions before publishing them to the LMS
- Publish exams and assessments directly to an online course (media files
are automatically uploaded)
- Determine point values and exam settings offline
- Print exams/surveys directly from Respondus, or save files to MS Word or
Retrieval and Reporting Features
- Retrieve exams from Blackboard and Canvas, complete with media files
- Retrieve custom reports, such as student scores, summary statistics, and
- Download answer databases for quizzes or surveys and save them in an
- Archive and restore exam/survey projects (including media content) with
one click — ideal for providing a colleague with a ready-to-use exam
Windows 11, 10, 8
Memory - 32 MB RAM minimum
Hard Disk Space - 10 MB of free hard disk space for program files
Monitor - 1024x768 or 1280x720 minimum resolution
Download Time - The file size is approximately 10 MB.
Learning Management System
Respondus 4.0 is compatible with the following learning management systems and industry standards:
- Blackboard Learn 9.X
- Instructure Canvas
Office Computers: Contact IT at firstname.lastname@example.org and request the Respondus 4.0 software installation on your office computer. Be sure to include your Building, Office Number, and Computer Number.
Home Computers: Log into MyJU. Refer to the Academic Technology, Respondus page. The software and password information is included.
Return to top of page
CHROMEBOOK ISSUES WITH RESPONDUS
Below is info for students using chromebooks to install lockdown browser - Installing the Chromebook Extension
To install the new extension to a student-owned Chromebook, students will need to use the regular LockDown Browser installation link for your school (they will NOT be able to search for the app directly from the Chrome web store.) The LockDown Browser installation link will direct students to the Chrome web store, at which point they should select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension.
Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking tests in Blackboard Learn and Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Blackboard or Canvas test requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Blackboard or Canvas tests. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard or Canvas.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-
sharing, virtual machines, and network monitoring applications
- Print, Print Screen and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task
switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back,
Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be
accessed with other browsers
- Supports screen readers
INSTALLATION OF THE LOCKDOWN BROWSER
LockDown Browser must be installed to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=261850125
Taking a Test Using LockDown Browser
1. Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
2. Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-
click it. (For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the
3. If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant
messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the
blocked program before restarting.
4. Login to your Blackboard or Canvas course.
5. Navigate to the test and select it.
6. If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear
asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
7. The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with
Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses webcam and video technology to prevent cheating during online exams. Respondus Monitor integrates seamlessly with learning management systems, and is ideal for non-proctored testing environments.
System Requirements (Students)
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher
- iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only)
- Adobe Flash Player (bundled with the LockDown Browser installation)
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
- A broadband Internet connection
Using Respondus Monitor (Students)
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”) The computer requirements are listed above. If an exam requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, the guideline in Respondus LockDown “Taking A Test Using LockDown Browser” section. At this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are
working properly. The first time the Webcam Check is performed on a
computer, Adobe Flash Player will require you to select Allow and
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings
chosen by Jacksonville University and/or your instructor. Follow the
instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for
- The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. You cannot
exit LockDown Browser until the test is submitted for grading.
Screen Recording Option
How does the screen recording option in Respondus Monitor work?
Instructors can enable the Screen Recording option for tests that require Respondus Monitor on a per exam basis.
The screen recording video for an exam session initially appears below the webcam video in the proctoring results.
Click (or touch) the screen recording video to make it the primary playback window. The rows of thumbnail images that appear below also switch to the screen recording view. Repeat this process to make the webcam video the primary focus again.